Pastoral care and wellbeing at St Martin’s
Your child’s wellbeing at St Martin’s is a responsibility we approach with intention and heart. Pastoral care means that we aim to nurture the emotional, social and spiritual aspects of each student’s academic education. Guided by our motto, “Strength and Gentleness”, we are committed to love one another in a supportive Catholic community where a sense of inclusiveness is fundamental.
Pastoral care at St Martin’s encompasses:
- Positive Behaviours for Learning (PBL) – a well-established whole school program which definitively teaches and reinforces positive behaviours in our school
- Seasons for Growth – a program that aims to strengthen the social and emotional wellbeing of children
- Buddy Program – a buddy program for Kindergarten and Year 6 students to enable a smooth, welcoming start to primary school for kindergarten students.
- Family Buddy Program – for families with children who join the school in later years (Years 1-6). The buddy family with make contact with the new family and be a point of reference for any questions they may have. They organise get-togethers to welcome the new family to the St Martin’s community.
- Counsellor – our school counsellor is available to provide support for students experiencing personal difficulties in or out of the classroom that affect their school life. To request an appointment with the counsellor, first discuss your request with the Principal or class teacher who can organise your appointment.
- Kindergarten Transition Program – a range of initiatives occur each year to support pre-schoolers and their transition to school. These include Pre-Kindergarten Playgroup; Rhyme and Story Time; Kindergarten Orientation Days; Kindergarten Parent Information night; Welcome Mass for Kindergarten children and their families; and the Year 6 and Kindergarten buddy program.